Skip to content

Visas and immigration

If you’re required to hold a student visa to study in the UK it’s never too early to start planning your application. Get immigration and visa information for international students.

Student visa

To enter the UK and enrol on your course, you are required to hold a Student Visa. The visa is issued by UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI). Students are given step-by-step guidance and can receive support from the International Office throughout the visa application process. That said, students should defer to the UKVI Student visa guidance for official advice.

You can avoid costly mistakes by double-checking that you’ve prepared everything as prescribed in the official guidance. Please note, application fees will not be refunded where an application is rejected for any reason.

Key facts for Student visa holders

    • You can apply for your visa no more than six months before the start date of your course.
    • Your visa permits you to work in the UK. Students are typically permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during holidays. If you work more than this amount you may compromise your right to remain in the UK.
    • The University will carefully monitor your attendance to ensure you comply with UKVI regulations.
    • Your visa will tell you if you are required to register with UK police. Academic Registry will help you do so when you arrive.
    • When you apply for your visa you will pay a healthcare surcharge. This means you have access to medical care throughout your studies. However, you are not eligible for public funds including Jobseeker’s Allowance or Housing Benefit.
    • You are exempt from paying Council Tax while you are a student at NUA.

Please email us if you have any concerns before or after you submit the application.

English language requirements

Norwich University of the Arts is subject to all UKVI regulations and as part of our compliance responsibilities we ensure that all candidates satisfy all English language requirements.

We ask that candidates attain an overall score of 6.0 with 5.5 in each section of the IELTS exam – or its equivalent. The test must be taken at an approved test centre. Results should be no more than two years old when the visa application is submitted. Learn more about taking an IELTS exam.

We also accept some alternative English qualifications. Learn more about our English entry requirements.

Not all student visa holders are required to complete an English exam, for example if you are from a majority English-speaking country. We also accept some alternative English exams that means you’ll be exempt from taking the IELTS exam. Please contact the International Office to discuss your application in more detail.

Evidence of funds

To obtain a student visa you must show that you have finance to cover tuition fees and costs of living as set out by the UKVI. This usually amounts to more than £20,000. Mistakes in this section are the biggest cause of rejected applications. Learn more about this requirement in the UKVI guidance.

Confirmation of acceptance of studies

Before you submit your visa application, you must hold a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study or CAS. The CAS will only be issued when the visa application window opens, three months prior to enrolment, and after the University receives your £2,500 deposit. More information about CAS.

The CAS is sent via email as a PDF file. You are expected to check the document for errors and submit a printout with the visa application supporting documents.

International deposit

There is no fee to apply for a course at NUA, but if you are offered a place you will be asked to pay a deposit to confirm the place and obtain a CAS letter. The international deposit is £2,500 and will be deducted from the total fees due in your first academic year as reported on the CAS.

The deposit will be non-refundable except in the following circumstances:
(i) You exercise the right to withdraw from the contract within 14 days of accepting the University’s offer of a place;
(ii) We do not accept you onto the course because you fail to meet the conditions of an offer, including failure to achieve the minimum English Language requirements for the student Visa;
(iii) You have a Visa application refused, except where the Visa refusal is as a result of a failure to follow UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) guidelines or the submission of fraudulent documentation;
(iv) Where we decide to cancel a course prior to enrolment and you do not wish to accept an alternative offer on another course provided by the University

Please be aware that students applying for Federal Aid funding are not required to pay the deposit.

Need help? Chat to our friendly recruitment team

We are pleased to work with you to discuss your questions at any stage of the application process.

Call Email Instagram Facebook

Recent Awards

Top 10 for
Teaching Quality

by the Times and Sunday Times 2022

Top Two UK
Creative Arts

by The Complete University Guide 2024


the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)


Our latest Instagram post from no_location


Norwich University of the Arts is excited to reveal our new brand…
View this post

View Latest Insta Posts
Norwich University of the Arts gold logo

Gold for Norwich in the Teaching Excellence Framework

Norwich University of the Arts has achieved the highest recognition, a Gold rating, in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). It is the only specialist creative arts and design University to earn a triple Gold TEF rating
View news article

View Latest News
A woman with shoulder length black hair looks sadly over a barren horizon

Poulomi Basu

East Gallery in partnership with Autograph presents the solo exhibition of Indian transmedia artist and activist Poulomi Basu’s powerful series Fireflies
View event

View Latest Events
Photo of a window seat in a restaurant. A small, domed red lamp sits on a wooden table next to a beige pot holding cutlery and napkins.

5 Places to eat in Norwich

Norwich is jam packed with amazing food…
View blog

View Latest Blogs
International Office: +44 (0) 1603 756249